Originally Posted by Lotus
1. The player checks the internet to see the date. Setting your internal clock back will not work. Plus that's piracy Andrew!
2. While Apple has the Studios support for rentals (as does Netflix) they don't have support for sales. The main reason Apple is starting this way is because they lack the support of 4 major Studios for sales.
I think the future is really in the hands of MS. Their X-BOX Live service is being intigrated into Samsung "Set Top Boxes," that will allow someone to pay $99 and be able to download the 720p movies that Live offers. Plus Samsung, Toshiba, and Vizio has TVs in R&D that have the service built into the TV (complete with removable HDs and USB connection for extra storage).
Getting the movies into the living room is the battle.
1. In regards to the clock thing, that was something I was told by some of the IT guys I work with on a regular basis that they heard. If it is untrue then I apologize. I myself have not done it, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was a very simple way around it for Jobs has always allowed for ways to circumvent the 'suits' that stepped in the way of his grand scheme.
2. Studio support for sales WILL happen. Truthfully, if the rentals take off Jobs will get the support he needs. Unlike HD DVD and Blu-ray the studio's need Apple and programs like iTunes for that is how the majority of the marketplace is going to get their content.
3. I completely agree, but where I think Apple has the upper-hand is that everyone, even PC users in the target markets, knows and uses iTunes. The Xbox thing is AWESOME and a huge plus in this shift away from discs, but iTunes continues to have aces up its sleeve and that is what the majority of the under 25 crowd uses. Now if it's built into cheap TV's like Vizio that's a whole other element that makes things VERY interesting.
Truth be told Lotus, I haven't been this excited about video in a long time. Ever since my first experience with a music server I've been searching for ways to be rid of discs, be it music or movies, for they're just unnecessary.
This is fun!!