View Single Post
Old 01-18-2008   #9
Lotus

Default Re: CES Trade Show Disappoints On All Fronts

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyyac View Post
I have the ability to interact with huge electronics companies at the highest management levels, do strategic planning with business partners, network with peers, learn about cool new products, learn what my business partners are planning for the coming year, begin dialogues with prospective new partners, plus more. I met with more than 30 companies in the space of 4 days. My room at the Paris was $200 a night and my flight was about $400. Meals were basically free, thanks to dinners and parties that are available to industry folks. Plus, I won $400 at craps. Not a bad deal, considering the amount of travel time I would have needed to accomplish the same things without CES.
Right but you had meetings set up with each person before the show. CES it is virtually impossible to walk up and then get a meeting with someone. At CEDIA you can do this.

Quote:
CEDIA is a great show, thanks to the learning opportunities that are available via the courses offered. But it is sorely lacking as a trade show, other than products highly specific to the custom installation and home theater space. I think any CE retail executive needs to be in touch with all aspects of the CE industry, and that simply isn't at CEDIA. And real business meetings are much fewer and far between than at CES.
What products is CEDIA lacking in? Because if I was a startup store I could goto CEDIA and find people in every trade possible for running that store from software that organizes it, to cash registers, to dolly manufacturers, to the product companies themselves. Plus as you mentioned I can get my staff trained in many, many, many different areas while at the event meeting with the Presidents of all those companies I'm trying to do business with.

I understand what CES was, but I know what it no longer is: useful. For the majority of store owners CES is a waste of time now with less and less meetings possible every year.

Quote:
I share the frustration with off-site exhibitors. I don't have time for them and generally reject meetings with them to maximize the efficiency of my trip. I think they are generally scavengers who want to benefit from the CES crowds without paying for a CES exhibit, and I find this mildly offensive.
I find it offensive that you label smart business as "scavengers who want to benefit from the CES crowds without paying for a CES exhibit." They put up shop in a space they can do better business with their targeted clients. It's smart business for them.

Quote:
Hobbyists and trade-show groupies will find CES increasingly less welcoming, so perhaps the crowding and logisitics issues will fix themselves.
When? It gets worse every year!

Quote:
It is a business show and functions best that way. I think it has found new success as a magnet for all sorts of media coverage, and as the "big dog" of US trade shows, encourages detractors. We all love an underdog and CES certainly isn't that.
As someone who has to do business every year in these types of shows I can say that CES is losing its appeal every year to the majority.

When they split the Audio/HT off for it's own show everyone will benefit. Bravo to Jerry for publicly calling that issue out.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote