View Single Post
Old 01-15-2008   #17
prerich

Default Re: Looking For Blu Ray player purchase advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
I'm in Blu-Ray because of the PS3 which is probably Sony's plan not the other way around your suggesting.
I had planned to sit out the war, waiting until there was a winner before jumping in but I also planned to buy a PS3 at launch which I did.
I grabbed a couple of Blu-Ray movies when I bought my PS3 "just to see what all the fuss was about" & the picture & audio was so much better than DVD that I was hooked.
Almost 100 Blu-Ray movies later I think I was hooked more than most!!

But back to my point,
The Playstation 2 had an install base of well over 110 million, Sony had every belief that many PS2 owners would become PS3 owners so the inclusion of a Blu-Ray player was a brilliant marketing move.
Not only would the Blu-Ray games have much more storage space than DVD's giving game developers a larger storage medium but I'm sure I'm not the only PS3 owner who took home a Blu-Ray movie when they bought their PS3.
I think that the fact many non gamers are buying it as a Blu-Ray player was just a bonus for Sony.

Also the PS3 was the least expensive Blu-Ray player at launch & it was upgradable over the ethernet cable & that made it attractive too.
So for Sony it was a win-win PS3 owners became Blu-Ray owners & Blu-Ray owners became PS3 owners.

So while the PS3 doesn't have the video or audio quality as the standalones it is a great starting point.
You can hardly fault Sony for coming up with a great marketing plan, a plan by the way may have won the format war!
With Sony - the ends justifies the means, Get PS3's in houses (use blu-ray to do it). To date, the PS3 is the best selling BD player. What does that say for the other CE's - not many sells - because of PS3. You may have been an avid gamer, but , like you said, and like I'm saying -Sony's marketing plan was brilliant - a master stroke! I will add other descriptions such as ruthless, quick, and deadly. Sony didn't have to woo its gamers, but non gamers - thats an issue. regardless of the means - PS3's wound up in houses to play BD when they could have built cheaper standalones to start. This is crazy I tell you - crazy!
prerich is offline   Reply With Quote