View Single Post
Old 01-14-2008   #49
TheMoose

Default Re: Warner Pulls Support For HD DVD and Backs Blu-ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Sure. What would be their case? Right. What lawyer would take that up? Also in what world will there be no movies in a couple of months? It's 5 months for Warners and last I checked they weren't the only studio out there.
Their case would be the format didn't exist any more, if HD-DVD does lose & believe me there are plenty of lawyers who would take the case!

Also you posted that Paramount & Universal could bail if something didn't happen in 1 month, if that does happen the format is dead & people just bought expensive upconverting DVD players & if you don't think they will sue just look at the people suing because Xbox live went down for a few days, they found a lawyer for that they can find a lawyer for this.

Quote:
Hmmmm... they were offered the Recordable Media Market. Sony flat out said they would stop all BD-R production and GIVE THEM the recordable media market. Samsung and others were convinced it was going to happen to the point they talked about it!

So they obviously have something else up their sleeves. I know you're a PS3 man and thus blue all through but perhaps they have a strategy?
I'm thinking what they have up their sleeves is they want a bigger piece of the pie that what was offered.

Quote:
Well then if anyone is suing anyone it's the HD DVD PRG vs the research group they hired! It's obviously not wrong. It actually makes some sense. You see most people KNEW about the High Def formats and were mad that Studios weren't supporting both. Because it was labelled by the media as a WAR where one side may lose the majority refused to buy. However of those polled who were waiting the MAJORITY said if they were to buy it would be HD-DVD. It's likely the name and nothing more, but it was their answer. Then again maybe it was their answer because it was cheaper who knows.

What I do know is that most people I talk to don't like that Studios are trying to make their decision for them.
Well you can word a poll to get the answers you want!
Didn't you state they did the polling in malls, they went to the place with the biggest numbers of uninformed consumers possible!
HDTV's aren't actually in everyones homes now & most of the people who do own them don't have or know much if anything about HDM, Hell 40% of the people with HDTV's don't even have an HD signal going to them!
You are not going to get accurate poll results from people who don't know what you are talking about!

I've said before the biggest failing from both sides is a lack of education, too many people don't know what HDM is & it doesn't help to ask the high school kid at Best Buy because he doesn't know either.

Quote:
What I do know is that most people I talk to don't like that Studios are trying to make their decision for them.
Who else was going to make the decision?
People weren't making a decision because of the format war the studios are the only ones that can make a decision.

Quote:
Sure. However lets be honest if there was no war and there was just a HD-DVD solution where both techs had been combined (think BD 2.0) then right now you'd likely have one with about 3M to 5M stand alone players sold. Because of the war you have less than half that combined. The war has left a bad taste in peoples mouths. If HD-DVD took the recordable media market and went home it will still take likely 6 months at least for the public to start buying like it never happened. However that research group found out otherwise. This could be because HD-DVD did well enough to get in enough homes that somebody knows somebody that got "screwed," by the war. That does leave a bad taste in peoples mouths.

Plus BD is still priced about $200 too high for mass consumer consumption.
But there is more Blu-Ray players & media in peoples homes despite the price differences & Toshiba only did "well enough" because the prices were artificially low which is why they were the only ones building the standalones!

Quote:
No, they will win there is a clear choice for a safe investment PLUS the right cost. With 2.0 players having an undisclosed price point (because they figure they can ask for MORE if HD-DVD is dead) we have no idea how soon that will be.

Not true at all. If HD-DVD announced they were going to take the recordable media offer and back out then the new players would all have $600+ price points for 2.0 units, and the others would get priced at $399 to $499.

However with HD-DVD announcing a $199 1080p unit then BD can't afford to have 2.0 units at $600+. They're going to have to price aggressively.
Well if they did crank up the price because of no competition that would be pretty stupid wouldn't it?
Do you think all these companies are going to shoot themselves in the foot?
The price of new tech has always been high & guess what, it's always come down in price, this isn't any different.

Quote:
That is a good thing Moose. If HD-DVD grabs a 3rd Studio it prolongs the "war," long enough for likely both to survive. Then you don't have anyone getting screwed.
If that happens & both survive then both will die or become like DVD-A & SACD in 5 years.

Last edited by TheMoose; 01-14-2008 at 03:56 PM..
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote