View Single Post
Old 01-11-2008   #24
prerich

Default Re: Warner Pulls Support For HD DVD and Backs Blu-ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardl View Post
With HD DVD out of the picture, Blu-Ray is pretty much synonymous with Playstation 3 during this critical consolidation phase. Standalone Blu-Ray players cost the same or close to the cost of the Sony Playstation game and media system. The overwhelming majority of the Blu-Ray market is now people with Playstations. This may remain the case forever if Playstation momentum continues and Blu-Ray players don't get a lot cheaper quickly.

The part that has me concerned is that if HD DVD is in such trouble, Blu-Ray can't be far behind. Warner Bros. cited concerns about recession as one of the primary motivations for their dropping the second format. But their decision to drop HD DVD was apparently based on HD disc sales favoring Blu-Ray over HD DVD 60% to 40%. That's not a huge difference in units given the tiny size of the market. The fact is Blu-Ray sales have been very disappointing too.

It will be interesting to gauge Warner's commitment to Blu-Ray and HD discs. The first test will be to see if they release some of their exclusive HD DVD titles like The Matrix Trilogy to Blu-Ray. (The Matrix should sell well to PS3 owners.)

I'm hearing a lot of indifference toward HD disc from the kinds of people who Sony need to be enthusiastic about the format. It's not like either Blu-Ray or its doppleganger the Playstation 3 have anything close to the market enthusiasm of the Wii or the iPhone. Throw in the fact that about 1 million early adopters have just been alienated out of the market overnight.

I don't think the Blu-Ray camp should be celebrating yet.
You are correct. You will also have early adopters of both formats (like myself) that will speculate that something else will be around the corner to challenge BD. We will not buy tons of BD titles (I only have about 5 or 6 all Disney except 1 - I have more HD-DVD titles).
We will rent our movies instead.

It seems to me that most people that are Blu-ray defenders are really Playstation 3 defenders instead. (If you criticize PS3 its like you've downed BD - even if you own a BD player and praise it). I see something evil - more evil than Microsoft. I see Sony now attempting to dominate and control the BD hardware market as well (why by a wii, xbox 360, computer, or a competetors BD player - when you can have it all nice and on one machine - the PS3). Call me crazy, drunk, or high - but Sony's plans are bigger than most people think - don't think the sting of prior failed formats and products aren't fresh in their minds. They want the PS3 to become their master stroke! It's not all about BD - its really about PS3!
prerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links