View Single Post
Old 12-29-2007   #155
Lotus

Default Re: Blu-Ray wins on Black Friday week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
61 : 39
Was that last week or this week?
It's definately not this week. For 3 straight days all day long HD DVD had the top 4 spots on Amazon. Amazon is the number 2 retailer that Nielsen tracks. It was the same 4 titles for those 3 straight days. Today the 4th day they've slipped to 5,7,8, and 9. It's also the 4th straight day they're winning the top 10, 25, 100, and 1000. They're closest they've been in 6 months in the top 10,000 for the 4th straight day as well. In the past they've done strongly with the top 10 average and number in top 100. They haven't ever put 2 straight days together let alone 4 of the top 25 average in the last year. They haven't won all year in the average of the top 100 titles. This week they've won the last 4.

The same titles were on a Buy 2 Get 1 Free at Best Buy (the number 1 retailer) too.

I'd find it hard to believe that a title that was number 1 at Amazon for 3 days out of the week isn't in the top 25. That should give you a good idea the numbers you posted likely aren't accurate.

I really think Amazon is very accurate in terms of how HD DVD and BD are doing. While HD DVD has done well in the past in number in the top 10 and their top 10 titles average out well it's when you get to their top 25 titles and their average that BD has literally won all but a few days in the year. Average of top 100 products and BD is usually around twice to three times as good all year round.

BD has had a 2:1 or 3:1 edge in different weeks all year round. That matches the Amazon top 100 titles average. For the last 4 days HD DVD has done twice as good as BD in that range.

So for the first time all year they've won at the number 2 retailer in the nation. That should show up in the official numbers. Will HD DVD win for the week? Hard to say right now, but they won one day, so if they won Thursday, Friday, and today it could be really close. I don't know how they did on Thursday or Friday.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote