View Single Post
Old 12-27-2007   #9
Lotus

Default Re: CES 2008 BD Predictions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
I don't know, I've heard all kinds of estimates for when the next leap in bandwidth will come, I don't believe any of them. It's not that I know inside info, just the opposite.

Remember when we were never going to get faster than 300 baud via a phone line? (yes, I'm dating myself here) We already have internet II running at speeds close to what I speak of between college campuses all over the country, so what does it take to make the next leap?

Historically it's just someone who figures out how to do it, and when that happens isn't predictable. MS would love us all to believe it won't happen for 7 years, then they look like they are studs when they get it out in four. Sorry for the rant, but unless something happens soon to settle this 'war' no one will win.

I for one have stopped buying players, though I've already bought 5-6 to date. The pre/pro world needs to catch up before I'll buy another one (well, I say that now....) and I don't know if that will happen @ CES this year or CEDIA, I guess it depends on the company.
They have the technology some countries like Japan pretty much already have it up and running just about everywhere.

The problem with the states is replacing the landlines. Which they are starting to do. It really will take years before we catch up. Some areas will be faster than others but again due to first getting the lines put in, then having customers pay for the faster speeds, it's not a viable option today or in the near future.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote