View Single Post
Old 12-26-2007   #8
prerich

Talking Re: new member over here with some doubts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leviathan18 View Post
i want to have the minimal clutter of equipment so i thought why not an htpc you can have blue ray hd dvd dvd avi mp3 mp4 games internet pvr everything in just one little box but my biggest concern is how i must proceed with the sound car i want my receiver handles all the decoding

for the speaker wow those look neat, i was looking at these http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-...8301520&sr=8-6 i dont know what you guys think about the brand or quality of sound so any help i would be grateful.

i was also looking at the XBR4 but they are kinda expensive i was looking at this Samsung LNT4071F 40" 1080p 120Hz LCD or the Sharp aquos 42" the 62u series but im afraid of banding issues with them

i dont have big budget but i want to get the best out of my money, im really open to suggestions as i dont know a lot about all this stuff been reading like crazy but i cant find many sites with decent reviews of all the stuff

really thanks for the help
Fellow computer geek here, does your motherboard have an optical or coax digital out? If you are going into a receiver and not using your HTPC as a pre-pro this is the best way to do it. If the receiver is doing all of the decoding - all you need is the digital bitstream to get to the receiver. A sound card with a coax or optical out is your solution (unless your motherboard already has one). I'm also using the Xbox 360 HD addon and the Lite-On Blu-ray drive. Make sure you have PowerDVD Ultra (Blu-ray version comes with the Lite-On blu-ray product). Also run at least 2gb of ram if you are doing HD.

Tuner cards? You are overseas so I can't recommend as specific one. I know the Technisat cards are popular overseas (HD-5000). These cards will do QAM,ATSC, and Sat communications. Most people overseas tend to use DVBViewer for PVR software also. Google BBTI Technologies and you can find a card there.
prerich is offline   Reply With Quote