View Single Post
Old 12-17-2007   #30
prerich

Talking Re: Blu-ray problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigeraudio2007 View Post
That may be, but with your Xbox 360 drive you are not getting 1080p or the new audio formats. To me that is the whole point of upgrading to these new next-gen formats. Because we sure as heck know it is not for its convenience factor. I have yet to have to apply a firmware upgrade to get a disc to work. Even Live Free or Die Hard worked fine with an older firmware on my Samsung BD-1400. Some people just got lemons or semi-lemons. That is where the big problem I see is. When you buy a player you expect it to work and that is not seemingly the case with next gen players.
How can I put it, right now 1080p means nothing to me (I like to rhyme from time to time). My projector is 720p native and I can't tell the visual difference between 720p and 1080p on a 32 inch monitor - they both look stunning. I must correct you on the 1080p issue also - the addon will only do 1080i through component (XBOX 360) - but it will do 1080p through VGA,HDMI, DVI and will upconvert regular DVD to 1080p on a PC - it treats it as any other drive and will pass the full signal of the source material. The new audio formats are available through software processing (if I had a standalone I would have to change my receiver and upgrade it). I believe there is a point of diminishing returns.

Many people scorn PC's - and sometimes rightfully so - but if I have to tinker with something I would rather do it on a PC .

Here's a little more info:

Update: Added list of supported resolutions after the break.
To break it all down what you will get from the Xbox 360 after this fall's software update:

VGA:

HD DVD - 1080p resolution and all others

DVD - Upscaled as high as 1080p resolution and all others

Games - 720p games upscaled to 1080p, also supports native-1080p games in the future
Component:

HD DVD - 1080i resolution maximum, limited by AACS
DVD - Upscaled to 480p maximum, limited by CSS
Games - 720p games upscaled to 1080p, also supports native-1080p games in the future
prerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links