View Single Post
Old 06-18-2007   #3
Strutter

Default Re: Blockbuster chooses Blu-Ray

yep. i agree that this is a huge win for BR. but i wouldn't declare them the winner yet. HDDVD still has Walmart in their camp. with Wally's history of providing Chinese electronics at super low prices. i believe Walmart has more influence on J6P than blockbuster. I'm still in the wait and see camp. i have an oppo 891 and it's fine for now. however, when i find a lower cost dual format player that fully supports both formats i believe I'll jump in.

BTW i don't believe the war is between BR and HDDVD. i believe the actual war is between standard def and high def. i believe both HD formats will be around for quite awhile. supported by the makers of dual format players. (remember DVD-R, DVD+R) they are both still around supported by dual format burners. vinyl, cassette and CD all coexisted for awhile. vinyl is still around as a niche product but cassette has disappeared.

the average consumer is not convinced that a HD disc and player and the amount of content available in either format is worth the price. they're happy with their $30 players from wallyworld that has a huge selection of content. i believe this could be negated if the player makers would push the fact that they are backward compatible. (most people i know didn't know the new players could play SD disc.)
heck when i bought my 981 the guys at work were like "you paid how much for a DVD player!?!"
i know exactly 5 people who have HDTV's. in my cul-de-sac there is 1 besides me out of approximately 100 homes, most are professional people who can afford it. at work there are 4 people. none of them are at all interested in either HD format disc. they are happy with what they got. now i ask, If the people with HDTV's aren't interested in HD disc then how can anyone expect people with 35" 4x3 TV's to be interested? they are spoiled by $30 players and $3 rentals. they don't remember DVD players costing $300 or VCR's that were $500+. i do, and it took some time for them to come down in price where every room in the house had one. i believe HD will eventually be that common but it will take time. it will take HD being IN YOUR FACE. it will take lower prices, it will take more content. mostly it will take manufacturers to stop releasing SD versions of movies. same as when DVD came out gradually there were no more VHS to be found.(i know people who didnt buy a DVD player untill suddenly they couldnt find VHS tapes and now they own a machine that plays both VHS and DVD)
HD will win the war over SD. but i believe we will be enjoying both HD formats for a long time.
Strutter is offline   Reply With Quote