View Single Post
Old 12-16-2007   #100
Lotus

Default Re: Blu-Ray wins on Black Friday week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post
Now, not saying that HP is selling nicely on HD DVD, *but* I wonder how many of those Harry Potter HD DVDs will get returned after Christmas when families discover they won't play in their DVD player.

Just walking the aisles at Target and Best-Buy, the conversations taking place around HD DVD and BD shelf-areas are pretty entertaining. While most consumers assume that the Blu-ray Discs won't play in their player because... they don't say "DVD" on them... I continually hear people talk about how they need to get the "HD DVD" because they just got an HDTV and their old DVDs "won't work right on the new TV" or some other nonesense. These folks clearly don't have playback hardware of either HD format... but they often grab those red-labeled discs without reading the fine print and head off to the register.

Just curious... when these sales are counted, do "returns" ever get tracked?
So is the new arguement from you blue guys that sales are doing well for the Warners titles because people think they're buying a DVD?

This DVD is to go with the new HD DVD player they got as a 2nd player for the bedroom right?

Most stores I know of are required to have their cashiers to question the customer on if they know it won't work in a DVD player.

I think the biggest news to me anyway is that the Samsung unit for $300 soldout at Best Buys everywhere. While they raised the price on the A3 to $249 (but still sell them).

The problem for the BDA is that there were only around 35,000 Samsung players to begin with....
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote