View Single Post
Old 12-14-2007   #10
drblank1

Default Re: Study Shows "Non-Audiophiles" Can't Hear Difference Between 64 and 256 kbps MP3 F

I think the problem has many aspects that need to be addressed.

1. If the study is using non-audiophiles, then they probably don't have trained hearing, which was stated in a previous posting.

2. The playback environment probably wasn't exactly the best environment. I believe that a well designed listening room as well as listening to the content with the highest quality playback system is important. If one is listening to the same content with different types of sophistication (64, 128, 256, SACD, DVD-A, TrueHD) and the playback system is just an average system, then the playback system isn't reproducing the content to it's fullest extent.

It would be interesting to have a reference quality system. Personally, I think Meridian has the best quality of processing with regards to digital formats and maybe they should have used a Meridian system. (I don't work for Meridian, but I am an owner of older Meridian equipment and love their passion to bringing high quality playback systems that remove coloration, flutter/distortion, etc.) Just my observation and experience.
drblank1 is offline   Reply With Quote