View Single Post
Old 12-12-2007   #13
Lotus

Default Re: Ratatouille on Blu-ray is awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post
Lotus,

as good as Shrek looks, take a read of Dan's review of the HD DVD at dvdfile.com: he noticed that the movie clips *in the bonus material* look *better* than the feature film. Looks like a classic example of a studio applying a little bit of filtering to ease compression... a common practice with DVD and one that I hope that the studios learn is BAD and don't continue the practice with HDM. Not saying it's a bad image and not saying it's a problem with "HD DVD"... just noting that Paramount, for whatever reason, didn't provide an image that was optimal given the improvement that can be seen with precisely the same material in the bonus section (which is also on the same HD DVD disc).

BTW, I noticed the same problem with Disney's "Incredibles" on DVD... the clips in the bonus material were significantly sharper/detailed than the image in the feature presentation. My review of that DVD didn't leave that fact unmentioned... even though every other review I've read praised the title as having perfect picture.
Shrek looks pretty damn good and I noticed in some spots what I thought was compression related lack of sharpness... but overall the picture was actually damn fine HD material. I'd rate it on par with Cars. Ratatouie on the other hand is the best looking disc I've seen on any format.

Dead Mans chest was pretty sweet too even if the movie was imho bad.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote