View Single Post
Old 12-05-2007   #35
Lotus

Default Re: Blu-Ray wins on Black Friday week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
Convenience.
Well Kenny this point is certainly true. However I think music is an entirely different market that has always been ruled by convenience (the Walk-Man now Ipod). Where as video has always been about PQ and convenience (PiP, the success of HDTV, flat panels, etc).

Video seems to be "visual," and people seem to think prettier looking things are better than prettier sounding things.

Is there a market for the Next Gen video?

Yes. You have 30m+ HDTVs currently in homes, but only a combined 800,000 standalone next gen players. It is pointless to have HDTV if you have nothing to show on it. The majority of people don't have a lot of HDTV broadcasting to watch. Sports dominates that particular market currently. You got more High Def sports than quality High Def programming.

So the best way to get High Def in your home without the compression, etc. is through the Next Gen players.

There is a market, but in this case the "war," is far more detrimental. There is no "Evil Corporate *******," like there was in the DVD vs DIVX war. You don't have discs that turn off and you pay to watch them again. It's one format against the other and both appear to offer virtually the same performance.

While convenience is important I just don't see it being the leading point for purchasing in video. It seems to have much more importance in Audio.

The biggest problem with the consumers accepting the next gen formats has been the war and price. $200 has always been touted as the Holy Grail of price points. Now that has been reached and hardware sales are finally moving at old in the begining DVD rates.

HD DVD may just pick up in 2008. So far neither one has, and that is a shame.

SACD and DVD-A were just poorly executed. I can think of Dark Side of the Moon as one major title on either format. When the big guns don't get released on it, it's really hard to get out of the niche. I think MD had better titles originally.

Also don't forget that most people think CDs are over priced, thus the SACD was incredibly over priced.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote