View Single Post
Old 12-05-2007   #27
Mornelithe

Default Re: Blu-Ray wins on Black Friday week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Is the PS3 really getting beaten that bad here in the states? Only 2.4M PS3s sold? They are getting it handed to them by MS and Nintendo. That isn't even competitive. So they claim to be positive they will have 11M sold worldwide by Dec. 31st.

That means what only 3M in the US? They are seriously getting it handed to them. They sold 1M units last year, but only 1.4M units since then? That is horrible. They've shipped something like 9M units in the US to date. That means 6.6M units on shelves? Nearly 3 times the total number sold since November last year? That is scary bad.

Neither side is playing with figures they're just counting both. If you don't count both the number is around 480,000 to 310,000. Since we knew from other sources that the number was 420,000 to 290,000. We also know the week of Black Friday that 60,000 HD DVD players were sold to the 20,000 BD players.

HD DVD is killing BD in non-console related hardware sales. So they have to add the PS3 to look good. The HD DVD PRG will announce the non-add ons at 500,000 units likely next week once it's official then they'll state that 1M total has been reached by the end of the year (with about 600,000 of them stand alones).

I actually wasn't referring to the console #'s (and the console makers do play with the numbers), I was referring the the BR/HD-DVD #'s. Both sides are playing with their numbers, as are you, since you continue to exclude the PS3 from the overall hardware figures for the HD war, and that the most recent numbers for HD-DVD do include the HD-DVD attachment rates for the 360. Anyone with an ounce of a brain, would choose a $400 PS3, that has the ability to do more than just play movies, over a stand-alone player that would cost more (BR anyway, HD is cheaper, but who cares, HD's getting stomped). Seems perfectly reasonable to me. I'm not really sure why it's acceptable to include one, while discluding the other. Who knows, regardless, Microsoft and Toshiba lost this war because they made the HD-DVD drive optional to the Xbox. Had they made it a standard for all models, not only would they be leading the HD market, but they would've allowed themselves to have the staying power that the PS3 has, with regards to gaming. Either way, Blu-Ray is dominating hard - Here's how Australia is shaping up:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=724

If you keep discluding PS3, due to it's multiple uses, then I really think this is a biased discussion. Blu-Ray is winning in sales. There are more machines out there capable of playing Blu-Ray movies. Blu-Ray is dominating in Europe, and Australia in the very least, most likely Japan as well. As the price cut to the PS3 sinks in, and the Xmas season heats up. More BR players will be shipped, and the lead will continue to grow.

Brian

Oh yeah, and I guess we compare the numbers of PS3 vs Xbox 360, as it pertains to this discussion. Your numbers definitely reflect that the Xbox360 has been out a year longer, and has had more time for developers to familiarize themselves with optimizing it's hardware. However, if we examine the numbers more closely, with regards to this discussion, the current attachment rate for PS3 to Xbox360 w/ the HD drive, is 9 to 1 in Blu-Ray's favor, and considering the amount of PS3's on the market, that's a staggering market penetration for Blu-Ray, in the first year of it's infancy. And the software sales are reflectant of that disparity between the two formats.

Brian

Last edited by Mornelithe; 12-05-2007 at 10:49 AM..
Mornelithe is offline   Reply With Quote