View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007   #13
mrmusic

Default Re: Retiring Baby Boomers Fuel Two-Channel - Sales Surge in 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotham View Post
Many, many times, I pay $15 for a CD and find out it has one good song on it if I'm lucky.

I went to Bittorrent to download some music that I thought I might like. I liked about 25-50% of it and went and purchased the CDs. The rest, I haven't listened to but I figured I would give some of it another try and see if it might be more to my taste the second time around.

Perhaps I'm an anomaly in that I'm willing to purchase music I already have but I don't necessarily think so. I do feel that paying $12-15 a CD is still a ripoff but I don't have much of a choice morally.

I'm trying to explain one person's purchasing psychology (myself) . . .

I purchase approx 90 CDs per year so I believe I've paid my dues to this debate.
Jotham, I'm SO glad to read this post. I think your purchasing philosophy is much more widespread than people might think. I've been saying something similar for years.

I understand the attraction of MP3 players like iPods but it breaks my heart that the quality is so lacking. An entire generation is going to think music is supposed to sound that way.

I've spent my life listening to, thinking about, dreaming to, talking of, playing on the airwaves, showing on television, and writing about music. I love music, I love musicians. I'm married to one. They deserve to be compensated for their art, and compensated well. But the current system doesn't serve them, and has always given the lion's share to the middle men.

I have always made tapes and then burned discs of music I love and shared it with friends and acquaintances. I've never felt I was taking a sale away from an artist. Rather, I feel I've been responsible for 1000s of sales of great albums and songs people might otherwise have never been aware of. It's spreading the word, just like the writing and broadcasting.

I think a lot of people, and especially Boomers and Gen-Xers, want something in their hand, something they can see, when they go to pick out the music they want to hear at that moment, and I'm not talking about a little sliver of white plastic. Something that has a photo or some artwork to it, something with a list of the songs. Something that triggers that meaningful association they have to the music. Something more than a line of type in a window. How soulless is that?! That moment of choosing may be brief, but emotionally it's important.

I've always done what you do: download and listen, then look for the CD (or SACD, or DualDisc, or DVD-A, or whatever remains) to own and use, to show to friends and loan (and usually other work by those artists). The whole process of downloading and organizing and then putting that music where you want it (home system, car, MP3 player, computer) is a bit messy (and still mysterious to many Boomers) and time-consuming. Great if you're in school and that's your priority, not so convenient in the adult world. If you're in the adult world with adult money, maybe you'd rather pay for the package.

Not pay $12-19, I agree, we all feel ripped off; the music industry made its billions from overpriced CDs and now they're crying because they haven't figured out how to profit from the new technology, and they waited so long it's probably too late now for the generation they've lost to illegal downloading.

But I don't think you're a thief. You have paid your dues. And you'd pay much more if it were available, and reasonably priced. The 30-day idea may be a good one. You say you're spending over $1,000/yr for CDs anyway. Multiply that by millions and see what the record industry is losing. And I think you are typical of many.

The clueless, blind, certainly deaf, pig-headed, anti-art, lawyer-MBA-dominated Mr. Jones music business deserves to die. Track down your customers and take them to court, indeed.

Radiohead was a first. Sure a lot of people took their sample for free. But Radiohead got a mailing list of how many million fans? Priceless. Don't cry for them. Bands will look back and say, those smart geeks, those were the days.

Give us reasonably-priced hi-def non-copyable catalog to play on our A/V systems and just watch those wallets open up.

Last edited by mrmusic; 11-30-2007 at 05:21 PM..
mrmusic is offline   Reply With Quote