View Single Post
Old 11-29-2007   #17
Lotus

Default Re: Onkyo drops HD DVD player...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post
No. I didn't lie. The article didn't say it was the Italian distributor's decision. They said it was Onkyo's decision. If that turns out to be true, it doesn't make me a liar. It makes the Italian article inaccurate. Time will tell. If Onkyo has indeed ceased shipments to European disctribution chains, it will become clear by other channels.
The article states that according to the Italian Distributor that Onkyo is stopping production, and then states that Onkyo wasn't producing the units anyway as the reason they wouldn't review it (they had already reviewed the European XA2).

No other outlet anywhere is reporting Onkyo dropping the HD DVD player. Germany does in fact have more than 20 units on sale currently. Onkyo did alter the XA2, it's not just a rebadge.

The $899 Euros is more expensive than the USA. If Onkyo was really worried about its profits why drop it in Europe and not the USA?

Also and the biggest problem with your whole thread, if Onkyo ceases production of a unit, does that mean they're dropping it?

Nope. I'm rather sure that Onkyo isn't producing a large number of these units and there would be very little reason (see demand) for them to do so. Having a small production run doesn't mean they're not going to support, sell, or R&D another unit.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote