View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007   #5
CharlyD

Default Re: I am thinking of getting an Audiophile only server

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano View Post
I heard about iTrax but AIX stuff is also sold on Music Giants. The problem is the ReQuest can't play MG's files for some reason. Frustrating....
Music Giant downloads are in WMA format. A quick look at the ReQuest site showed that WMA is not a supported format. Also, while MusicGiants does offer some hi-rez content, I could not find any AIX content on their site.

Quote:
My idea for the Logitech is to never have to reach for ANY of my best CDs, DVD-A or SACD titles and to have a BUNCH of the best sounding stuff from Music Giants on there.
Great goal! But... First off, the Slim Devices (Logitech) devices don't support DRM. The majority of the content at Music Giants is DRM wrapped.

Next, there is no easy (or legal) way to extract DVD-A or SACD content to a hard drive. The equivalent content available from iTrax (24-bit/96kHz) is available in 2 or 5.1 channel formats in WMA Lossless files. The 2-channel format can be played wonderfully by the Transporter, but the only device I know of for playback of hi-rez content in 5.1 channels is a Media Center computer with a good sound card.

I share your goal, but really don't want to rely on an expensive, complex and difficult to integrate Media Center PC as the hub of my entertainment system. But today that seems to be the only choice to support networked, multichannel, DRM wrapped, hi-resolution content.

Last edited by CharlyD; 11-27-2007 at 11:54 AM..
CharlyD is offline   Reply With Quote