View Single Post
Old 11-19-2007   #35
Lotus

Default Re: Is Sony preparing to raise a white flag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post
Its obvious that no one IS thinking about the consumer. This war is bigger than us in the high end community. The sales of the inexpensive Toshiba units prove that. Yes, consumers want quality, but rarely the masses are willing to pay a premium for it.
The thought that consumers will pay more for Blu-Ray than HD DVD because of storage capacity and its supposedly has better technology, I disagree. We keep missing the point.

Most consumers want to go home and push play, see a great HD picture, and that is it. How educated to you really think the Best Buy customer is on all this technical stuff? Or, even really cares? We must stop believing that all consumers are like us. They are not. And a product like this, should be packed with technology that is easy to use, simple to operate, and reliable. That my friends IS good use of todays technologies. Not software and firmware updates. I myself don`t want to be bothered by that stuff. Not just to watch a movie. I may as well go out to the movie myself and deal with the people and parking!!
So, this war will continue to keep some people confused, dazed, and indifferent. And really at this stage of the game, it should be a lot better than this.
This is the whole reason for the war.

Sony had BD in "development," and it was found that new lines for replication would be needed, etc. The price of the laser array was expensive. The discs needed "Caddies," otherwise they'd be unwatchable if scratched at all.

So Toshiba went and researched alternatives. They found one that would cost less, and use the same depth on a disc as DVDs thus replication lines would just need adjustments.

Toshiba had the less expensive route, and the DVD Forum behind them. Knowing that consumers only truly care about money spent, Sony went all out to find a way to get Studios to be exclusive to their camp.

So we're now at war because the industry itself already figured that out.

What they forgot was the SACD vs DVD A resolution: death to both formats because consumers don't care about wars. They mainly sit them out.

This isn't like choosing satelite over cable.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote