Thread: Audio Setup
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2007   #5
tigeraudio2007

Default Re: Audio Setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJones View Post
I just purchased a Pioneer VSX-91TXH Elite Receiver to be able to fully enjoy my Sony BDP-S1 Blu-Ray player. The Pioneer has decoding capablilties for Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD Master Audio. No problem setting up the receiver. The one question I have regards the the audio setup choice for HDMI. Do I select auto or PCM. Regardless of what audio select I choose on the DVD, True HD or PCM 5.1 (uncompressed) the display on the Pioneer shows PCM. I have read many reviews and they talk about sending umcompressed PCM to the receiver? All I want to know is which audio setup option to select.
The Sony BDP-S1 can only internally decode Dolby TrueHD and send it via PCM through HDMI to the receiver. It is not capable of sending the bitstream data to the receiver for decoding. The player supports internal decoding of DTS HD HR, but does not support internal decoding of DTS Master HD audio. With Master HD audio the player strips the DTS core audio stream which is the same bitrate and stream that you would get from DTS on an SD DVD.

So, since your player has to do the internal decoding of all the formats, set your player to out PCM over bitstream. This insures that whichever audio track you select to play, the player will uniformily send it to the receiver as PCM. I do not trust the AUTO feature to select the correct output when switching between bitstream DVDs and PCM Blu-rays and TrueHD Blu-rays. Stick with PCM and you can't go wrong.
tigeraudio2007 is offline   Reply With Quote