View Single Post
Old 11-09-2007   #69
thesmiths

Default Re: This top 100 band list is BOGUS - RUSH lower than STP?

Quote:
The Smiths whine too much
And there was me hopelessly thinking that such a list is supposed to be objective and about the music.

Also I think the 'professional' music reviews greatly disagree with you.

First let's take the music reviews of The Queen is Dead.

allmusic
Quote:
Meat Is Murder may have been a holding pattern, but The Queen Is Dead is the Smiths' great leap forward, taking the band to new musical and lyrical heights. Opening with the storming title track, The Queen Is Dead is a harder-rocking record than anything the Smiths had attempted before, but that's only on a relative scale although the backbeat is more pronounced, the group certainly doesn't rock in a conventional sense. Instead, Johnny Marr has created a dense web of guitars, alternating from the minor-key rush of "Bigmouth Strikes Again" and the faux rockabilly of "Vicar in a Tutu" to the bouncy acoustic pop of "Cemetry Gates" and "The Boy With the Thorn in His Side," as well as the lovely melancholy of "I Know It's Over" and "There Is a Light That Never Goes Out." And the rich musical bed provides Morrissey with the support for his finest set of lyrics. Shattering the myth that he is a self-pitying sap, Morrissey delivers a devastating set of clever, witty satires of British social mores, intellectualism, class, and even himself. He also crafts some of his finest, most affecting songs, particularly in the wistful "The Boy With the Thorn in His Side" and the epic "There Is a Light That Never Goes Out," two masterpieces that provide the foundation for a remarkable album.
http://wm06.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?...0:oaw67u50h0jd

Rolling Stone
Quote:
From the Smiths' early gigs in 1983, lead singer Morrissey was pale, shy and prone to brandishing gladioluses. Sound like a joke? In 1986, he decided it was. Whereas previously Morrissey had sourly lectured his listeners that meat was murder, on The Queen Is Dead he made one of the funniest rock albums ever, with lyrics such as "Now I know how Joan of Arc felt/As the flames rose to her Roman nose/And her Walkman started to melt."
The shift came because he learned to express his self-loathing through mockery -- on "I Know It's Over," when he moaned, "Oh, Mother, I can feel the soil falling over my head," it was both a parody of his affectations and the only way he knew how to express his extreme gloom. Guitarist Johnny Marr matched his verbal excess with witty, supple music, ranging from glam rock to country jangles. Morrissey sang about England like he'd never been there. He was more comfortable with his poetry (Keats, Yeats and Wilde) and his imagination. So when he fantasized about meeting the queen, he provided a capsule review for a career of glorious pretensions: "So I broke into the palace with a sponge and a rusty spanner/She said, 'Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing'/I said, 'That's nothing -- you should hear me play piano.' " If the queen's reaction to Morrissey was "We are not amused," then she was the only one.
http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/..._queen_is_dead

Last edited by thesmiths; 11-09-2007 at 03:18 PM..
thesmiths is offline   Reply With Quote