View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007   #9
Lotus

Default Re: Is Harmony's new 1000 remote a good alternative to AMX and Crestron?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
I still am using this remote almost daily and must say, for those of us not able/willing to shell out the $$ for the upper level controllers, it is! In all my use of this remote, I have only had one glitch that required me to remove the battery from the remote to let it reboot. Otherwise it has performed flawlessly, and I can't say enough good things about the Harmony software interface. Changing components out is a breeze and customizing the remote is equally simple. Try that with you Crestron or AMX gear!!!

For me, who lives in a house built in 1988, the idea of running wire through all the walls to add solid automation is insane, so I don't need most of the features the AMX or Crestron or Control 4 offer, this is clearly the way to go! FWIW I was reading the new smarthome catalog last night, and if I wanted to, I could easily automate my home with this remote, so long as I was willing to swap out all the switches in the house. This would be at least an order of magnitude cheaper than hardwiring and don't for get I still wouldn't need the high end remote!
Ken, isn't part of Control4's whole idea that they use wireless devices so you can automate lighting, etc. without pulling new wires?
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote