View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007   #21
oscar_in_fw

Default Re: HD DVD Players Sold Out Nationwide This Weekend - Blu-ray In Trouble?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdarst View Post
Personally, I am not interested in getting either format player until:

1. Prices are $200 or lower
2. RELIABLY connects and works every time without headaches
3. Plenty of movie titles in the usual rental outlets
4. Plenty of concert titles available to purchase

I would prefer that one format die completely, OR, for dual format players abound that meet the first two criteria in my list; I could care less which.

I just acquired my first HDTV back in January of 2007; and while I LOVE watching good quality HD feeds - I am just not that interested until the industry gets their crap together and reliably delivers the technology at a reasonable price. I went through all of this with VHS and BetaMax ages ago; I bet big on BetaMax and lost. I have not fogotten that lesson; and I will not repeat it. Period.

If all consumers would firmly take this stand and boycott until - the manufacturers would respond to meet the demand much faster than they are now. It's simple business economics.

TD
A boycott won't do any good because both the BDA/Sony and Toshiba are determined to win this format war. All a boycott would accomplish is discourage the studios from releasing movies on HD media.

I would guess you are not cut out to be an "early adopter" with high initial prices and playing the role of beta hardware guinea pig. I decided to play the "early adopter" role because I was feeding a steady diet of satellite HD feeds to a 110" screen and becoming dissatisfied with SD TV and eventually DVD playback. I had almost decided on a PS3 (because it was the best Blu-ray player at the time) after the initial buying frenzy. My dealer talked me into trying the dual format LG BH100 player and I haven't looked back since.

I've updated the firmware once to fix the occasional audio dropout problem and currently waiting for a 2nd firmware fix to address a BD+/BD-J "bug" induced by the latest Fox Blu-ray releases. Other than that, I've had no problems playing HD DVD or Blu-ray discs.

I paid the "early adopter" premium price for this player and have been mildly surprised it's held it's "value" so well so far. It's been discontinued but I don't think I'd trade it for any other dual format player at this point in time.

I don't rent movies but only a fraction of the Blockbusters carry HD media anyway. Blockbusters is the only rental outlet I'm familiar with locally.

I am also excited about the possibility of music videos on the HD media. I've been torn between watching DVD music videos with unsatisfactory lossy DD/DTS audio or very good sounding multichannel DVD-A and SACD discs; but no video. Now the HD media give me the opportunity for superb video with lossless/uncompressed audio. Blu-ray has released two (2) music videos with high def picture and 5.1 24/96 uncompressed/lossless audio: Chris Botti and David Matthews. I'm hoping this is the tip of the iceberg from the Sony BMG library. Both formats also have released other music videos with lesser audio resolutions (e.g. NIN, AC/DC, Purple, Pat Metheny, Springsteen, Incubus, U2 etc with Orbison and Gilmour and the horizon). I may dive into Opera too but I'm waiting for the Blu-ray versions because I'm hoping for 5.1 24/96 content equivalent in quality to the best DVD-As.
oscar_in_fw is offline   Reply With Quote