View Single Post
Old 06-09-2007   #47
jcool

Cool Re: Price vs. Performance

I have read a lot of the messages here and find the usual broad spectrum of people. Unfortunately, it is very difficult to also find a broad spectrum of quality audio equipment which brings forth everyone searching for the Holy Grail. I have searched long and hard for quality equipment as I change due to moving or marriage.
My latest search was for a pair of speakers in my 2.1 system. I had the old Magnepans that were 6' tall but had to downsize when we moved to an apartment and have had a pair of Boston Acoustic 2 way bookshelf speakers for 12 years before I blew out both at the same time.
My wife does not understand spending more than $200 for anything, so my mission was difficult. I listened to many speakers and finally realized that I loved the B&W sound. Unfortunately, my years of listening in many sound environments had trained my ear to be able to identify levels of quality and that often brought the price to a range beyond my reach. After listening to the range of B&W speakers I found trickle down technology in the new CM7's. The FST midrange only found in the higher costing units could be found in this "wolf in sheep's clothing" speaker that listed at $1,800 for the pair. I walked away from the demo and could not get the smoothness of the sound out of my head and bought the speakers even though the color was not my preferred choice (rosenut). I was able to get them on sale at $1,500, along with the beginning MIT Bi-Wire set up and I am very happy. I highly recommend the B&W CM7 speakers as my choice for best price for performance in the speaker line for those that cannot afford the higher end units. Sure, I would love to get the 800 series speakers from B&W, but I would then lose my wife.
jcool is offline   Reply With Quote