View Single Post
Old 10-31-2007   #59
JerryDelColliano

Default Re: Many Players Need Firmware Update To Play Spider-Man 3 on Blu-ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post
By even suggesting that even "old discs might not play", your statements are wandering into completely undocumented, unsubstantiated fear-mongering. We might as well claim that Toshiba's new HD DVD player "might not play all existing discs" and defend it the same way... that absolute proof can't be offered to refute it.

If you're going to take on the authority of a moderator, please post responsibly, and keep away from sensationalizing and misleading comments. Call the difficult points into question for everyone to consider: such as you have done with the issue of possibly needing firmware updates to play new profile-1.1 discs. But please keep your comments within a reasonable framework, or apply arbirtrary criticism equally to both formats if it's the practice of this forum to not require any substantiaing data to promote any negative claim.
-----

I am going to jump in here. I own the player as it is my 4th Blu-ray player in a little over a year. Ken is right. You NEED a PC to download the firmware updates and as a Mac user - I too find that COMPLETELY LAME.

I can also say - from the discs I bought last week at Best Buy (both formats) there are ALL SORTS of disclaimers now in the packaging of the discs saying basically "you might need to update your machine with new firm/software to play this film". Most users are NOT going to like this.

I know when my dealer sent me a disc made on a PC to update the firmware on my Samsung BDP-1000 - it killed the unit. I belive Andrew had the same thing happen on one of his players too. These firmware updates are NOT a cakewalk and can leave you as an early adopter VERY frustrated.

The expectation was set by an UNDER $100 DVD player that you can put MOST EVERY disc format in the player, press play and it will work. With HD DVD and Blu-ray - $1,000 player doesn't guarantee you CD playback, playback of the native format for all discs and often worse. That is factual and it is bad.

With that said - it is OUR job as early adopters to weigh the value of STUNNING native 1080p content versus the BULL**** problems of the players. For my money - I will work through the problems to get the performance.