View Single Post
Old 10-26-2007   #38
ottojg14

Default Re: How much difference do you think cables makes in the audio quality of your system

[QUOTE=graniterocks;4908]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano View Post
Cables matter. A LOT. For both audio and video.

Jerry, I 100% agree!

I am a dealer for a few brands of cables, so I am a little biased. That being said, I have playing around with audio gear as a hobby for going on 20 years... I have only been in business for three.

Cables are a very signifiant part of the system. Anyone who says they don't matter, has not heard the right cables or they have some hearing loss in a few registers, which unfortunately does happen. I think cables have as big a role as any other component in a true high end system and if you don't believe that cables don't affect video, upgrade your component cables and you will be amazed, the results are not subtle. You don't need eaglevision to see the differences.

Most of the time even in a modest system cables can have a pretty signifcant difference. The nice thing is that you do not have to spend through the roof to get good results. I would definitely invest in good speaker cables (minimum $100-300) and some decent interconnects-(minimum $150-300) especially if you are listening to any analog sources. One of the Brands listed on this site makes some very good cables at reasonable prices.

Over the years I have seen the doubters hear very remarkable and repeatable sonic differences just by swapping out speaker cables or interconnects. I have even had lead installers and technitions-(these guys are not golden eared audiophiles) look at me in disbelief after a quick cable swap in a customers house.

In the last couple of years I have been auditioning cables using new advances in technology (namely carbon fiber nanotubes and electron alignment technology- I know it sounds like BS, but just google it and you will find countless abstacts on nano tubes and properties of superconductors). I'm not even going to pretend that I understand it, I just know what I hear. I now feel stronger than I ever had about cables improving a system. I have heard one pair of speaker cables have a bigger impact on improving the sound, than upgrading two pieces of electronics. That demostration really has made me depressed, because I'm actually thinking of spending over 8K for speaker cables now.

The other thing that sucks is that I have always been skeptical about power cables.. unfortunately they do add some improvement too and collectively with a conditioner and all the other cables you end up with huge improvement to your sound.
ottojg14 is offline   Reply With Quote