View Single Post
Old 10-25-2007   #25
J.J.

Default Re: Many Players Need Firmware Update To Play Spider-Man 3 on Blu-ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by David DelGrosso View Post
The bottom line is that:

1) Blu-ray needed to match HD-DVD's intro timeline, or be eliminated from contention.. so they entered with what was ready.

2) MOST of the BD early adopters are PS3 enthusiasts who mostly use their player for the games!

3) 95% of the potential "target" BD movie owners have not yet purchased a BD movie player, and will patiently wait until Profile 2.0 is perfected AND affordable (2008?)

What am I missing?

DD
I actually bought the PS3 for the BD capabilities. I thought in the future my kids might enjoy it as a game console. I have yet to buy or even try a game in it. What games??? They have only now released a few games. It was marketed, in my opinion, as a BD player first and foremost. The countless emails I received from Sony touting the BD functions and HD "movie" capabilities were definately in the forefront of all the advertisements I saw.

The biggest problem I see for the consumer is the availablity of movies. I went to BB to purchase a BD and they may have had 20 to choose from. The HD DVD section was three times as big, but still lacking. Until good movies are released and available neither format will really hit mainstream. That's what killed DVD-A and SACD or at least for me.
J.J. is offline   Reply With Quote