View Single Post
Old 10-25-2007   #1
AVRevForum.com
Administrator

Default California Wildfires Affect Home Theater Business

With over 1,000,000 residents displaced in densely populated Southern California, the home theater industry has been impacted by the raging fires that range in location from Santa Barbara in the north to the Mexican border in San Diego. Smoke, fire and pending risk has caused audio-video companies ranging from Sony in San Diego to Sonance, AudioQuest and Neptune Equalizers in Irvine, and installers on projects all over the Southland to abandon work and deal with the reality of needing to evacuate.

U.S. President George W. Bush, while visiting the vast damage in Southern California today, said confidently "Tomorrow will be better." California residents can only hope he can back up his kind words with meaningful actions. With the President's track record, having abandoned the residents of Louisiana and Mississippi after hurricane Katrina and the cronyism that exposed fatal flaws in FEMA, the residents of Southern California are today looking more toward Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger and the American Red Cross for aid than FEMA.

And who can blame the "blue state" residents for their fears when conservative pundits like CNN's Glenn Beck on Monday said, "I think there is a handful of people who hate America. Unfortunately for them, a lot of them are losing their homes in a forest fire today." For the record, Californians do not hate America. In fact, they are, and have been for at least fifty years, the most important economic force powering the American economy. Right now though they are fighting for their lives, working to protect their homes and trying their best to be charitable to their neighbors. In California, that defines "family values" far better than what church you attend, where you stand on abortion, or who you vote for every four years.

PC Convergence Helps Evacuation Efforts?
"I am glad I have my entire photo and music collection backed up on a hard drive," says AVRev.com's Andrew Robinson, who lives in the fire-effected area north of Los Angeles called Santa Clarita. "I can pack up my dogs as well as backups of nearly all of my valuable data and media collections in a matter of minutes, and be on the road out of harm's way, if need be. Try loading your car with 2,000 Compact Discs, 500 DVDs and every photo album and frame in your house in a matter of five minutes. It's just impossible without some of the advances PC convergence has brought to our systems and collections."

Weather Outlook Getting Better in Southern California
Wind conditions are reportedly changing today from the "Santa Ana" conditions that bring dry and hot air from the east into the Southland, to a more normal, westerly breeze that comes from off the ocean. The chance of rain is a scant 10 percent at best over the next ten days. However, temperatures are expected to drop which will help the firefighting efforts.
AVRevForum.com is offline   Reply With Quote