View Single Post
Old 10-20-2007   #13
DaViD Boulet

Default Re: Many Players Need Firmware Update To Play Spider-Man 3 on Blu-ray

Count me in the minority on this board. I love the fact that both HD DVD and BD players offer firmware updates to address ongoing issues with either format as they are discovered. I agree in principle that the idea of using consumers as "beta testers" isn't the ideal. However, when new discs come to market making new use of technology not previously implimented in any real-world software, it's inevitable that there will be some growing pains. I'd rather have BD technolgy NOW and be able to upgrade as Java and 1.1 come on board versus having had to wait another year for 50GB HD media "to have everything at once".

In the days of DVD those growing pains meant that you had to buy a new player or that the format couldn't progress to avoid isolating consumers with incompatible gear. I'm thankful that we don't have either problem with HD media because of a new pardigm of upgradable firmware. And the process is pretty painless on my PS3. IMO, anyone buying state-of-the-art elctronic gear should *plan* to apply firmware upgrades and purchase gear that makes it as easy as possible (the PS3 has wireless networking making it VERY easy from anywhere in your home). Rather than complain about firmware upgrades, we should be looking at it as a glass half full.
DaViD Boulet is offline   Reply With Quote