View Single Post
Old 06-06-2007   #34
daniel

Cool Re: Price vs. Performance

I am new to your forum, but I am not new to high end audio. With two kids in middle school, I'll have to wait to upgrade for a while. My favorite system is now long gone -- my wife was intimidated by the speakers. I owned a pair of magnepan 1.5s (too tall), adcom 60 watt amp and an adcom preamp tuner. I also had a sony cd player. The little amp drove the speakers just fine. I would pull them out from the wall and they sounded great. I teach at the grad school level, and if I ask my students about high end speakers, they usually just stare at me. They all own ipods and do most of their listening on cheap headphones. Very few have heard a good system. I used to debate friends about planar v. box, or ribbon v. electrostatic. There were a ton of smaller stores but lots of speaker makers. I could spend an afternoon with a friend who owned reference KEFs or B&W 8 series, and later listen to Martin Logan. I wish there was a way that the high end industry could jump start interest. But as long as they listen to music through their phones, high end faces troubled times.
daniel is offline   Reply With Quote