View Single Post
Old 10-05-2007   #2
tigeraudio2007

Default Re: HDMI vs HDMI 1.3 cables...and...

If you are using upscaled DVD source material it does not matter if you use HDMI 1.1, 1.2 or 1.3. I don't think there are many DVD players out there that have HDMI 1.3 ports on them. Most are 1.1 or 1.2. It is not the cable that is HDMI 1.3, but rather the input/output or a device that meets a particular version standard (ie: 1.2 or 1.3). However, high-end HDMI cables do have different ratings on whether they are approved for HDMI 1.3a cable runs. So use a monoprice cable if you would like. Others will tell you different, but I for one cannot see a great picture quality difference between cables. Stable functionality and some quality difference in high-end cables, yes. But enough when using upscaled DVDs, not so much. Regular HDMI cable will be fine.

Yes, the DVD player used will make a difference. Some DVD players upscale better than others. Some play nicer with HDTVs than others. Is your HDTV native 720p, 1080i, or 1080p? Does it accept signals up to 1080i and then upscale all inputted signals to 1080p? If you HDTV upscales all content to 1080i or 1080p, how good of a job does it do? You might find a DVD player that outputs 480p via HDMI and lets the HDTV do the upscaling may do a better job that an upconverting player that converts the upconverts and then makes your HDTV re-convert the signal.

I highly recommend that you delve into at least one of the next-generation formats if you have the other equipment necessary, ie good HDTV and receiver. The HD-XA2 HD DVD player and Samsung BDP-1200 do excellent jobs on upconverting SD DVDs. Just something to think about.
tigeraudio2007 is offline   Reply With Quote