View Single Post
Old 10-05-2007   #12
Robinson_A

Default Re: BOSE = box only sound extra

I think people get off on trashing Bose because they've made themselves easy targets. Like Tom Cruise, the second you say anything negative about them, at least in print, they sue you. At least that's what they've done in the past. They sued Consumer Reports some years ago over one of their reviews, which basically said that the claims made by Bose in their marketing were inflated and not in line with the product's actual performance, and so Bose took them to court and won.

From an editorial stand point Bose set a legal precedent that a writer or publication is NOT always entitled to their opinion which is quite dangerous. I've been told on more than one occasion to either not run a review or to change it because the manufacturer thought that I was wrong. We're not talking about a factual error here, we're talking about my opinion, in my room, using my gear. Obviously I didn't change a lick of my review and a lot of people were upset. It didn't come to any legal issues but still, to be told what to write by the manufacturer is over the line.

This is why I do not like Bose. But I have to agree, you can throw other brands into the mix as well.

Managing Editor
www.avrev.com
www.avrevforum.com
www.modernhometheater.com
www.aprilshowersmovie.com
Robinson_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links