View Single Post
Old 10-04-2007   #4
deacongreg

Cool Re: Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains The Same - Blu-ray and HD DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by David DelGrosso View Post
My sense is that you are being serious with this question... but I'm certain you already know the simple logic:

A) Rock concert videos can outsell jazz videos by several decimal points (especially when we're talking Zeppelin -vs- Chick Corea ensembles.)

B) Releasing discs in these new HD formats can be profitable... but only if they sell LARGE quantities.

Therefore...

C) It is DAMN hard for label execs to secure funding for re-authoring HD versions of jazz concert videos that sold less than 10,000 copies on regular DVD!!

Personally, as much as I'd love to relive these golden musical moments in all the splendor of 1080p... I'd also be happy if they would at least re-release many of these archived gems in 24/96 Uncompressed Audio (2.0 and/or 5.1.)

I have never really needed to "watch" the musicians, to deeply engage in the message of their music.

DD
Most definitely. I `m in firm agreement with you. And I think that was our argument with Mark at AIX. I would prefer also to have these classic LPS re-done in high rez audio as well.
And while, they may not sell as much as say Led Zep, I think you might be surprised at how well some might do. Provided they pick the right titles. Example, Chameleon - Herbie Han****, Romantic Warrior, Where Have I Known You Before - Return To Forever, early Stanley Clarke, Jaco Pastorious, Weather Report, the CTI catalog - Bob James, Grover, Freddie Hubbard, Stanley Turrentine, Don Sebesky, Hubert laws, Mahavishnu Orchestra, I could go on, but on high rez audio, it would have a better chance, I believe to do well.

But, you, myself, and Jerry have a high degree of passion for this to go down. The record execs do not. If there is someone there into music, they are probably not in a position of power or authority to do anything about it.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote