View Single Post
Old 10-04-2007   #36
David DelGrosso

Default Re: SACD and DVD-Audio, Doomed Formats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncpl View Post
I think we may come from different schools of listening approach. With the vast majority of DVD-A that I have that are 96/24 or higher, the difference between MLP and DTS or DD is quite significant. It's fidelity I chase here above the 5.1mix - which in many cases (but not all) is more of a novelty.
Actually, the audible difference between MLP and DTS 96/24 is quite minimal on MOST recordings. But if "fidelity" is truly your passion, than the Linear PCM tracks on future HD formats, will represent yet another step closer to perfection.

Quote:
Besides, you didn't really answer my question. I know what formats are on the discs. Tell me which HD-DVD players will play the DVD-A (as opposed to the DVD-V) tracks.
Most likely, NONE of the HD players will include MLP decoding.

The primary reason why Dolby Digital (AC-3), DTS (Coherent Acoustics) and MLP (Meridian Lossless Packing) were created in the first place, was to accomodate the limited space available for 5.1 channels of audio, when video content is sucking up most of the available space (eg. DVD, Broadcast TV, etc.)

For new "disc" formats with plenty of "room" for Hi-Rez PCM audio, there will no longer be a need to offer compressed audio (whether it be lossy OR lossless.)

Quote:
Out of curiosity, have you tried to play one yet ?
Yes... I've listened to a few of them.

In my previous position as VP of Mktg for DTS Digital Surround, I was one of the architects of the DTS Entertainment label... and served as the Creative Director for over 150 5.1 surround releases (many of which were in the DVD-Audio format.)

During my tenure, I also had the good fortune to hang out with Brian May, as Elliot Scheiner created the Queen re-mix... introduce Graham Nash to the press, as he raved about the incredible 5.1 tracks that Nathaniel Kunkel created from his master tracks... and MANY more joyful experiences.

And my experience was (and still is) that MLP sounds really good, but the PCM Masters are even better... in terms of "fidelity."

DD
David DelGrosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links