View Single Post
Old 10-04-2007   #8
David DelGrosso

Default Re: Dark Side of The Moon - the best in surround - sounds worse than CD in stereo

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke View Post
Dark Side is one of the better 5.1 mixes out there , i think , dts or sacd. What i like about it is , emi ( abbey Rd) had the tapes .. hahaha .. not like on some of the artist. DOES ANYONE HERE HAVE THE ORIGNIAL TAPE OF SHE LOVES YOU OR THE ORIGNAL TAPES OF SGT PEPPER OR LET IT BE / GET BACK . 'CAUSE EMI AND ABBEY RD SURE DONT ! AND THAT IS A KNOWN FACT . THEY EITHER TAPED OVER THEM OR LOST THEM, ALONG WITH BOXES OF OTHER TAPES THEY HAD IN THEIR CONTROL !
Not sure where you got this information from... but it's simply not true.

I am one of the many "surround marketers" who have sat in meetings at Abbey Road, literally begging for an opportunity to re-mix Sgt. Pepper into 5.1 surround... and they certainly DO have the original masters.

The problem is that many masters in those days, were archived as "stems"... ie. "groups" of tracks already mixed together... which makes it VERY hard to create a sensible 5.1 mix, without a lot of digital manipulation. And to EMI's credit, they have consistently refused to allow this masterpiece to be altered in such a way.

A lot of people are unaware that back "in the old days", music sessions were recorded onto 4-track analog tapes... with "groups" of instruments mixed live onto each of the four available tracks, and then mixed into a MONO master (because stereo was not yet the standard, at least not in England.)

Geoff Emerick himself, has publically admitted that "We never actually listened to Sgt. Pepper in any stereo form. And when it came to the mixing, we spent three weeks on the mono. Then, the stereo had to be done as a separate mix. So George (Martin) and I just sat there for basically three days and mixed the stereo."

In today's world of digital multi-tracking, this all sounds very bizarre. But the simple truth is that MANY of the greatest studio sessions of all time, were archived without all of the instruments and vocals on separate audio tracks.

A direct analogy would be today's "live to 2-track" recording sessions. You cannot faithfully separate the violin from the guitar, once these live sessions are completed. So the only "master" that exists, is the one that was created on the spot.

DD
David DelGrosso is offline   Reply With Quote