View Single Post
Old 10-03-2007   #25
aec

Default Re: SACD and DVD-Audio, Doomed Formats?

I got a great price on a Marantz DV8400 a few years ago. I was quite taken w/the analog sound of SACD and DVD-A and hoped to replace a number of my older discs. There are still many classical and jazz titles coming out on SACD and to a lesser extent DVD-A. But, the manufacturers and especially Sony, failed to promote the format in a way in which it would have mass adoption and encouraged studios to remaster and re-release many classic albums. The player still makes my older discs sound great in 2 channel direct, but listening to Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Avalon, Tommy, Dark Side of the Moon, Kinda Blue, Time Out (to name a few) in SACD, in either their 5 ch/2 ch mix produces astounding sound. The current HDDVD/BR thing will probably not end up like the audio war that has become a niche for consumers like me. If I were you, I would probably not purchase a player that included SACD unless you can do so at a great price. BTW, I get a lot of my DVD-A and SACDs from www.acousticsounds.com, elusivedisc.com and even amazon.com carries them.
aec is offline   Reply With Quote