View Single Post
Old 09-29-2007   #2
CharlyD

Default Re: HD Video Game Sales Boom Despite $50 Plus Prices

Some interesting leaps in logic...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVRevForum.com View Post
...- yet consumers ranging from Generation Xers to much younger Generation Y gamers are willing to part with double or triple the price of a CD, DVD, HD DVD or Blu-ray disc to get the latest version of their favorite software title to the delight of the multi-platform video game industry.
Although they have similar titles, Madden 08 Football and Halo 3 are hardly equivalent to their predecessors. These titles require sophisticated platforms (an upgrade to XBox 360 is required for Halo 3), include significant new capabilities and promise exhilarating new experiences to their users. It's very unlikely that the original Space Invaders or Pac-Man re-released for X-Box 360 in 1080p format would get much interest in the marketplace.

Quote:
A similar success was had with the SACD re-release of Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon compete with CD backwards compatibility and SACD 5.1 surround sound.
Sales of 1M copies (over what period?) does represent a very good sales cycle for a re-release music title but is hardly equivalent to more than $170M in the first day for Halo 3.

Quote:
The main reason for the drop in sales is today’s music with very few exceptions artistically is substandard compared to the movies and video games consumers can buy for comparable sums of money.
I can't disagree with you there. There are those few exceptions though that do warrant release in hi-def formats.

Quote:
For a label to invest $100,000 in a group of it’s a-list titles to reissue them in surround or even high resolution audio is the kind of investment artists should expect.
The "gold mine of amazingly profitable and artistically important music" you suggest that the content owners re-release in high definition or multichannel formtats were for the most part recorded on analog systems (of widely varying quality) and likely in 2-channel formats. Certainly the Hendrix content you refer to was recorded with technology and methods that fix a quality floor that cannot be improved upon by remastering using current, hi-def technologies. The frequency response, dynamic range, distortion and noise on the original tapes can be captured quite well onto a CD, and a DVD-Audio or SACD remaster of that tape would sound no better than a well-recorded CD. It would be great if Jimi could pick up that Stratocaster again in a modern recording studio and lay down some 24-bit, 96kHz tracks, but that ain't gonna happen.

Quote:
The solution for the music business is so incredibly simple it is amazing and it would result in a boom in both music sales as well as profitable electronics sales as well.
I agree that the CD format should be ditched. Its lack of any rights management, video capabilities and limited audio performance have all been addressed with more modern formats. The market requires, however, that music be available in widely diverse formats from ring tones through high-definition, multichannel formats. What I would like to see is an ecosystem where I could buy music in the highest level I could expect to consume (e.g. 24-bit, 192 kHz, 8 channel) and have methods for transcoding that content to playback on whatever device I own be it a cell phone or a monster entertainment system.
CharlyD is offline   Reply With Quote