Thread: Is HiFi Dead?
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2007   #2
Robinson_A

Default Re: Is HiFi Dead?

I don't think hi-fi is dead, however, snobby hifi shops are. I still think there is a need for brick and mortar stores, but not if they make the experience of buying/enjoying the gear such that you don't want to visit them. A local place by me when I lived in Pasadena thrived as other stores shut down. This store NEVER discounted, but you could spend a whole day in there without anyone bothering you to buy anything. They loaned out products for in home auditions and truly LOVED what they did. Hell, half the time I went in there they were rocking out to something crazy and more often than not I had to invite myself in to join them because they were to busy having FUN. Needless to say, they sold more gear and truly high end stuff than anyone because people could go there and chill, talk shop, and just relax with like minded people. It was like a comic book store, but for grown ups. I loved it, and they are still the only high end dealer in Pasadena that I know of.

Some dealers just need to get over themselves and embrace a little change and actually spend a little more time listening rather than selling.

The best demo, to this day was my first trip to a Bang and Olufsen store. I went in, and the guy did the usuall "how are you doing..." then I asked to play a CD. He handed me the remote, hit power then WALKED AWAY! He left me in their best sound room to play until my heart's content. He returned 20 minutes later and asked me what color. I would've purchased them on the spot, the only problem was I was a bit low on funds (this was during my college years) however, I returned with a friend who wasn't low on funds. He got the same treatment and went home with a pair of speakers in silver. Had 'em for years and loved every minute of it.

That's a demo.

Managing Editor
www.avrev.com
www.avrevforum.com
www.modernhometheater.com
www.aprilshowersmovie.com
Robinson_A is offline   Reply With Quote