Thread: Is HiFi Dead?
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2007   #1
kennyt

Unhappy Is HiFi Dead?

A local shop closed it's doors, not unheard of in this field, but it is the second audio based shop to close in the last couple years. This leaves me the local BB/CC and only two other shops. It seems that many local brick and mortar stores are having financial trouble and moving into HT (not a bad thing in my eye) or closing down the store to be 'consultants'.

Well, I wanted to see what they were closing out, and as they were a store known for tubes and analog, figured this would be a great time to dive into the TT I have considered for years. Well, even on their last legs, they were offering poor deals. Several CJ amps were priced at 10-20% off. Mind you, all the gear being sold were demo's. The turntables they were selling were less than 1/3 off. When I asked what the price was for the one I was interested in, the girl at the desk (she never bothered to get up as I visited three sound rooms) told me the price was marked, and it is only good for today as this is the final day.

Hhhhhmmmmmm....

She did call the owner as I saw a box for a Music Hall MMF 7 in the storeroom and wanted to know the price. The box was empty (I hadn’t checked that!) and I could hear him say they had an MMF 5 and MMF 2.1 and the price for them was marked! Sorry guys, a spending fool like me isn't buying your demo's on the final day in your store for that price....

Well, I left empty handed and feeling sorry for them, sort of, and much more concerned for the future of the industry. Am I unreasonable?? I would have thought on the last day you’d want to sell gear, yet the prices they were offering, many weren’t realistic for an open shop much less one closing THAT DAY!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote