View Single Post
Old 10-05-2011   #83
Kato

Default Re: SACD and DVD-Audio, Doomed Formats?

Well, it's been 4 years since I kicked off this thread, in the intervening time I bought a Pioneer DVD player that also plays DVD-Audio and SACD, bought a bunch of SACDs and enjoyed the superior sound, then bought an Oppo BDP-83 and retired the Pioneer, (my shortest-lived piece of AV gear ever) bought some blu-ray audio discs which also sounded good, and now have just downloaded my first high-rez album from HDTracks in FLAC format (Buena Vista Social Club). I burned a DVD-Audio copy of the FLAC files with Cirlinca DVD-Audio Solo software, chucked it in the Oppo, and am happily listening to high quality 96KHz / 24 bit sound which I painlessly and legally obtained over the internet. I'm now probably done buying audio discs of any flavour, unless it's the only way to obtain a paticular recording. I'm considering getting a Squeezebox Touch, ripping my CD's to FLAC, and sticking my whole collection on a NAS. I may however, hold out for a playback chain that can handle multichannel FLAC files. (Anybody know if the Oppo BDP-93/95 can do this?) I think the writing is on the wall and the future of audio will not include spinning discs. The good news is that hi-rez audio is alive and well in the form of FLAC and other lossless compression formats, and will probably become easier find and purchase in the form of downloadable files on retail websites.
Kato is offline   Reply With Quote