View Single Post
Old 04-15-2011   #22
LaZ Baz

Default Re: CD, SACD & DVD-A

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrtGrfx View Post
Have you considered connecting your PC to your receiver through its audio out ports, or possibly using an AppleTV or other such bridge and so using the PC as the playback device? I have connected my PC (through a VCR's audio inputs, interestingly enough) and from the VCR to the video's sound-in port of my A/V receiver. Video devices, as you probably know, have very high bandwidth capacity and audio through them might be as good as one of these super-high resolution FLAC files.

For this to work, you'd still need one thing: the software on the computer that can play back high-bitrate encoded music files. But if you used your PC for storage and decoding and your sound card for digital-analog conversion and output, I don't see why you could not get these files to play through your receiver.
Thanks for your response. I am trying to avoid using a computer on the chain (sitting room has enough HiFi gear at the moment). I am trying to use my external drive, a small 1Tb Seagate, which will have all my ripped CDs and downloaded High Res music files. CD rips will be fine as they will be 44.1/16 bit but it's just the 192khz/24bit seems to be a sticking point at the moment. Anyway I will enjoy whatever I can now.
LaZ Baz is offline   Reply With Quote