View Single Post
Old 02-03-2011   #14
GrtGrfx

Default Re: What are the main differences between Blu-ray players?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsharma72 View Post
The main difference is the color of the laser used. Regular DVD players have used the traditional red laser, whereas the new Blu-Ray DVD players use an innovative blue laser. So what's the big deal? The primary difference is that blue light has a shorter wavelength than red light and thus allows the capability of faster speeds, more data storage, advances in miniaturization, and improved efficiency overall, among others.
I'm pretty sure that although you are absolutely correct, your answer wasn't what the OP's question was about. Next time, consider the literal statement a little more. In this case the poster wanted to know what differences there were between makers of the same technology, not two different technologies. Differences in BR players have pretty much nothing to do with the laser technology; rather they involve the accuracy of decoding the digital information and sending it to your television. Some players are widely considered to do a better job of converting the encoded information into the video stream than others.

While I personally think that bits are bits, I have actually seen that some BR players do a better job of reading and playing standard DVDs than others do. My well-regarded LG BD-390 produces softer and less defined video from my DVDs than my Denon player did, so the difference lies in the DAC chipset, not the laser. I plan to grab the new Oppo when I can afford it as they are considered to have excellent DACs for upconverting DVD material. On the other hand, most reviewers I've read contend that differences in playback of actual BR content are very minor, so if you only intend to play Blu-Ray disks, almost any drive will produce nearly identical results. And, I can attest to the fact that like video, audio output depends heavily on the quality of the decoding circuits. Some players just sound better, and the manufacturers' choice of DAC chipsets are the main source of the differences.

—Eric

-
GrtGrfx is offline   Reply With Quote