View Single Post
Old 12-16-2010   #3
starvinmarvin

Default Re: Plasma Burn Question

We've had our Pioneer 50-inch plasma TV for about eighteen months. There have been no burn-in/image retention issues at all. When it was brand new we kept it running many hours a day for the first few weeks, and we made sure it was on a channel where the picture varied a lot. We did NOT leave it on a channel with a banner across the bottom or top of the screen, or a "news ticker" banner, etc. After the first three weeks or so, we have watched TV programs or movies for two to three hours a day. During football season it might be five or six hours on a weekend. Also, one of my computers is connected to the plasma so I use it as a big-screen monitor for playing games (mostly first-person shooter games and racing simulations) for a couple of hours three or four times a week. There's no blurring or other motion artifacts, no burn-in, and you can watch from way off to the side with absolutely no dimming of the picture or the color. Frankly, no LCD or LED/LCD set can match all those qualities. When we look at photos and videos from our Canon digital camera it's easy to see that the color is distinctly more natural looking (flesh tones, flowers in our yard, etc.) than when viewed on any of our three computer monitors (Samsung, NEC, ASUS). I think you'll find that most plasma TVs also have a built-in feature to avoid possible image retention, too. To sum up, plasmas offer terrific color, no lag or blur during rapid movement of images, and they have a very wide viewing angle.
One possible drawback, depending on where you use the TV, is that plasmas usually have a glass screen. If you have big sun-filled windows opposite the TV location then you may notice more reflections on the plasma glass screen than on some of the better LCDs. If your windows are off to the side (this is best no matter what kind of TV you have) then glare/reflections will never be a problem. We have a big window right across from our plasma. At night, and for casual viewing during the day, the light from the window is no problem. On the rare occasion we sit down to watch a movie when the sun is shining in the window, we lower the shade - problem solved!
starvinmarvin is offline   Reply With Quote