Thread: CD vs Vinyl
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2010   #86
wilkinsb@telus.net

Default Re: CD vs Vinyl

[QUOTE=occupation;25794]Hello Wilkinsb, OK, here is a puzzle that perhaps you can help me out with.

There is this performer I know, well, actualy I know quite a few but to keep it short the general gist is this.
On stage there is this electric guitar player. His rig and the way he plays produces this depth in his blues sound. It's full on and warm, rich in tombre. When the performance is recorded by taking a feed fom the PA to two machines, one is an open reel-reel, the other is a digital recorder and the sound is played back through the PA from the open reel after the show, it sounds more like the performance that has just happened,

I fully concur with your comments about a R-R I have worked with them for years, still own a Revox PR 99 2 channel, and a professional R-R at 15 IPS or higher will great a great reproduction.
When comparing digital recordings I am leary as to exactly how that recording was done.
Many factors go into a digital recording that can easily produce unwanted artifacts if not done properly.
My comments were made in regard to comparing CD to SACD, Among the things that happen in conversion from digital tape to SACD is a removal of the digital distortions by the EMM Labs converter. Exactly what oit is out of my technical realm however you might find a general description on EMM labs website. if not contact them through the website. the exact method is under patent by EMM Labs and Ed Meitner.
If you look at their list of clients these are all SACD producers who exclusively process their recordings through EMM equipment. I like the sound of SACDs over regular CDs as well as vinyl when the SACDs are played over the appropriate equipment.
One of the reasons why I switched to CDs early was certain companies had already learned the techniques of how to maximize fidelity and as a tech I hated all the surface sounds as well as the harmonics generated in vinyl playback.
In the 1950s our school was visited by an RCA Tractor trailer unit that was a complete mobile studio and one thing they demonstrated was a synthesized creation of a piano piece that they would alternate with a real piano recording. They then told us that they had assembled a group of technicians and musicians back at home base to listen to a blind comparison asking them to identify the real piano and the synthesized recording. Only the techs got it right the musicians could not hear the difference. The techs identified the recording without the key clicks as the synthesized. Musicians ignore everything except the notes when they listen.

while the playback from the digital device does not. Over time different makes and models of recorder are used to record the show, some are analogue, some are digital. A pattern emerges where one of the two types of device scores consistantly over that of the other in producing an authentic playback of the concert. When enquirey is made, it is found that the analogue recorders that tend to produce the playback which is deemed to most accurately match that of the concert.

But this isn't the end of the puzzle, because the performer decides every now and then to make available to the public various records of his performances. In one case, he puts it out on vinyl and in another he puts it out on CD. There is a mix of tracks, some of which were recorded digitaly and some on the open reel, on both CD and vinyl issues. When he talks to his fans he hears comments that some of the tracks on his vinyl LPs sound more full on and real while others sound sonicaly incomplete. However, the feedback he gets about his CDs is that at all the tracks sound equal.

Now the question is this, which of the two types of system are feeding distortion into the signal chain? Is it the one that sounds most like the original gig because when all said and done an electric guitar through a tube amp is a mess of distortion anyway, or is it the digital devices, which when all said and done, clean up the sound and make it more authentic to how the musician would have sounded had he just fed his guitar directly into the mixing boards instead of miking it via his own combo unit and therefore revealing him to be the rotten musician that he is because he doesn't sound as good when he plugs his guitar directly into the desk?

CDs do not have the distortions caused by the stylus tracing the groove, nor do they have the high noise floor of the vinyl, as to specific circumstances full of unknown variables I can not comment
wilkinsb@telus.net is offline   Reply With Quote