View Single Post
Old 07-09-2010   #93
amhifi

Default Re: Favorite classic audio gear?

I am currently using a 1959 Eico HF81 stereo integrated tube amplifier, which was rebuilt by Sams Audio in Montreal, into a 7-watt per channel triode design.

My main source is a Nakamichi Dragon CT Turntable with a Shure V15MRx cartridge.
The speakers currently in the system are definitely not Vintage audio - Wilson Audio Duettes, which according to their spec sheet require a minimum of 7 watts.

Digital sources come and go, as I am a high end audio dealer, and I try out various units in this system at home.
The best digital sound I have had so far came from a Krell Evolution 505 SACD/CD Player.

Cabling is normally very modestly priced, but I tried out some Nordost Valhalla cable recently - the whole system was wired with Nordost - Power Cords, Interconnects as well as Speaker Cables.
After a weekend of glorious listening, I returned to my usual cables, hoping the difference would be marginal. IT WAS NOT.
While I cannot justify close to $ 20k for cables in this system, I sure would do it if I could!

What what really amazes me is that this little vintage tube amp can produce the kind and quantity of sound that it does with the Wilson Duettes. There are times on some music when I would wish for a little more slam, but most of the time there is all the volume and bass that one could want and the sound is just beautiful.

Last edited by amhifi; 07-09-2010 at 11:05 AM..
amhifi is offline   Reply With Quote