View Single Post
Old 05-28-2010   #11
LaZ Baz

Red face Re: CD, SACD & DVD-A

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrtGrfx View Post
A short note: my comment about optical media degrading over time is only true for CDs we make ourselves (i.e., blank disks we burn in our PCs). Commercial CDs you buy are made by mechanically pressing metal disks and coating them in hard plastic, and they do NOT degrade over time (unless you scratch them so much the plastic becomes opaque, anyway).

Also, I was under the impression that HDCDs, however they may have been recorded, are still only 16/44 standard Redbook disks, but I am uncertain of this. At any rate, if they do have higher bitrates, your PC won't capture or record the added detail if it's CD recorder is not also HDCD-certified. The specs must carry through the entire equipment chain to maintain the quality you seek. Any lower-level component in the chain drags the entire process down to that lower level.

Good luck!
I am back again. I read this "The point from this article is to clarify that there’s no such thing of 24 bit 192 kHz CD Audio.
It goes on to say "All CD Audio will follow Red Book standard which means that all CD Audio will have 16 bit 44.1 kHz as standard. Otherwise, it will not be playable on your standard CD Player" taken from http://jimmyauw.com/2008/01/17/there...-in-the-world/ and confirms what you are saying. I must be mixing up with DVD-A discs which some times give 2-channel 24/192 and 24/96 surround. I must look this up with my collection and take note. Thank you.
While I am waiting for my PC to be specked up , I would, if I may, ask you another audio related question.
1. Since the LP "Bridge Over Troubled Waters" was released (you can guess my age now!!), many audiophiles/hobbiests were building speakers with concrete supports and various other DIY to hear the low note at about 3min 13sec into the track. I recently wanted to find out what exactly the frequency is and bought the NCH Wave Pad. I ripped the track to my PC. I have not been able to figure out how to actually "isolate" ths note. Would you have any advice for me? I know I should have been asking these questions in the 70s-but better late than never.
Regards
LaZ Baz is offline   Reply With Quote