View Single Post
Old 03-24-2010   #118
gstarr

Default Re: High end processors VS low end processors/receivers, hardware differences?

"Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet
However, high-end audio companies (what we're really talking about here) have nothing against double-blind tests whatsoever. In fact, most audio companies, high-end or otherwise, use double-blind tests in-house extensively during design of their products.

Which companies do this?

Quote:
A high-end audio manufacturer suggesting that test measurements are not the full story to express the whole of human hearing isn't "whining" or even minimizing the importance of measurable tests. It's simply putting measureable results into perspective and acknowledging that such measurements have limits. Once you've double-blind auditioned two components that "measure the same" and heard distinct differences between them, it's not so hard to undrestand.

Which measurements have limits?

Quote:
BTW, the irony of what won me over to replace my speaker wire with higher-end stuff was a double-blind test! I had heard the difference, which sounded pretty dramatic to my ear (tighter bass and much cleaner, airier highs) with a higher-end Monstor cable, but I didn't have the luxury of doing an A/B double blind test on myself. So I didn't tell my roommate that I had changed anything in the system. "

I have no doubt that many high end companies use all kinds of testing--possibly even quite a few double blind tests.

But this isn't the big issue for consumers. None of the major (or for that cae minor) high end audio magazines write reviews using double blind tests. Hence, most "professional" reviewere use a combination of preconceived notions and a mish-mash of amplifiers, speakers, cd players, pre-amplifiers, turntables, cartridges, etc. making it nigh impossible to distinguish what piece of equipment is causing what they might consider being an audio difference.

Obviously some reviewers are far better at seeing the flowers from the weeds and have a somewhat reasonable guess at what effects certain components might be contributing to the overall music being listened to. This is quite often easier with the subjective process of speaker listening, as long as the reviewer is using a compatible amplifier.

I've listened to a number of Devore loudspeakers, from the 3XL's, hte Gibbon 8's, the Gibbon Super 8's, the Gibbon 9's ($6,500/pair), and the current pinacle of their line--the Silverback "Gorilla" Reference (about $15,000/pair). One thing they have in common at their not inconsiderable price ranges (but not by well-healed audiophiles) is their overall excellent performance that can easily be discerned by the non-hearing damaged. Other speakers that are also excellent, but somewhat different in sound, aren the Joseph Audio line of speakers, Anthony Gallo speakers--particularly the older Reference 3.1's at about $3,000/pair which were a steal when they were available, the new Gallo Strada's with their bass module, the Gallo Nucleaus Reference A/V speakers, and the new Gallo very updated (in both sound and price) Reference 3.5's at $6,000/pair. The very incredible full-range, self-powered, and active crossovered, diplanar (open-backed) Linkwitz Orion speakers. These are very difficult speakers to send back after living with them. Given the space required to get ttheir best performance (3-5 feet from the front wall and a few feet from side walls) obne will be amazed by the enormous soundstage and a neverending sweetspot, not to mention just amazingly great performance. Since Siegfried Linkwitz is one of the great minds in the audio field, just visiting his incredbly informative site--Linkwitzlab.com--is a must visit for anyone serious about speaker design and music listening.

Of course there are numerous other excellent speakers, such as Magneplanar 3.6's and some of theirother models, along with the online speaker manufacturer of the excellent omnidirectional Walsh speakers--ohmspeakers.com--.

I have omitted numerous other excellent speaker manufacturers, but I just wanted to highlight some that came readily to mind and that I would be deleriously happy to own.

Greg
gstarr is offline   Reply With Quote