View Single Post
Old 02-26-2010   #114
DaViD Boulet

Default Re: High end processors VS low end processors/receivers, hardware differences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel-a View Post
I prefer the way David did a bind test. He had changed only one element and didn't tell is friend about it. His friend notice an improvement ( was it?). this is much closer to scientific experiment than the usual DBT that the believers want us to believe.

There is one HIFI mag that do something similar, UHfmag.

They use a listening panel, and a reference system. A high resolution system that stay the same for a long period of time ( a real reference). When they do there blind test, only one person know what it is ( name, price, etc). Each panelist take notes. Each panelist can ask to listen again to one component. Listening is done over many hours. They use the same procedure for amp, preamp, source and...cables. Most of the times their notes agree but not always. Sometimes manufacturers get ****ed at them because they say it as it is. Some less expensive component performing better than more expensive ones.

I remember such a test about cables, where there was a consensus: don't buy the more expensive cable, the chep one is so much better ( it was the same company).
I also feel that this is the best type of "blind" test... the listener doesn't even know if anything has been changed. That removes the emotional trigger to think that something *should* sound different as people often try to hear differences if they think that they should.

Quote:
p.s. Dave, are you related to the troll. it seams that you appeared at about the same time when people were telling about his different nicknames that he uses. What's more, sometimes your posting happenned right after his, confirming his saying.
No offence , just wondering.
I randomly visit this forum from time to time. I'm David Boulet a dvd reviewer at dvdfile.com and have been registered here on the forum since the days of debating HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc.

(different poster)
Quote:
That certainly conflicts with the truly scientifically conducted test where they found that the listeners could not even reliable tell the difference between expensive speaker cables and some coat hangers welded together!
The only "scientific" comparison would be use the same equipment that I used keeping all variables the same. Another test with a different system with different equipment has no basis for comparison whatsoever.

It's astonishing how very fundamentals of empirical testing like this are completely lost on so many who post in the name of "science".
DaViD Boulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links