View Single Post
Old 02-24-2010   #106
DaveLadely

Thumbs up Re: High end processors VS low end processors/receivers, hardware differences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post
I'm sure that companies that knowingly produce inferior products would neither look forward to double-blind tests nor measurements.

However, high-end audio companies (what we're really talking about here) have nothing against double-blind tests whatsoever. In fact, most audio companies, high-end or otherwise, use double-blind tests in-house extensively during design of their products. Speaker manufacturers, for instance, will have listening panels listen for hours in double-blind scenarios never knowing what component they're hearing... in order to gauge the best possible sound.

A high-end audio manufacturer suggesting that test measurements are not the full story to express the whole of human hearing isn't "whining" or even minimizing the importance of measurable tests. It's simply putting measureable results into perspective and acknowledging that such measurements have limits. Once you've double-blind auditioned two components that "measure the same" and heard distinct differences between them, it's not so hard to undrestand.
No one mentioned how high end the company is. But the cable companies that charge very high, some extremely high, prices for cables clearly found a way to extract huge prices from gullible customers, and double blind tests pretty much prove that.
Also, I got the impression that the companies that criticize testing with test equipment have more than perspective in mind, their products more than likely don't test as well in comparison to competitors. Of course, tests certainly are not the whole picture, but those products having low distortion, especially certain types of distortion, such as odd harmonic distortion, are probably going to sound better to the ear. I do not reject a product by the results of test equipment alone, unless the distortion is unduly high, its just a consideration. I do reject equipment that imposes a "tone" of its own on all music, so I don't look for "warm" sound, I look for products that are most successful in replicating the music itself.
cheers
DAve
DaveLadely is offline   Reply With Quote