View Single Post
Old 08-30-2007   #1
kingofgrills

Default PS3's Audio Capabilities - Please Clarify

I have a PS3 as the center piece of my home theater room for Blu-ray disc, DVD, and SACD playback. I currently run audio through a Yamaha HTR-5960 7.1 channel receiver utilizing a 6.1 channel setup.

The setup sounds great but unfortunately, the receiver does not have an HDMI connection. I use a digital optical connection for Blu-ray and DVDs, and Monster analog output for two-channel SACD playback (Monster makes the best A/V cable I could find for the PS3's funky A/V connection). I've been waiting for Yamaha's line of A/V receivers with HDMI 1.3 before upgrading to take advantage of the Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD, and uncompressed PCM lossless audio formats.

My question is this: Do I really need an A/V receiver with HDMI 1.3 and Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD, or does the PS3 have decoders built-in that will work with HDMI 1.2?

I've seen conflicting information on this issue, and so far I haven't been able to get a straight answer. If the PS3 will decode the new formats, or pass uncompressed PCM through HDMI 1.2, I can spring for a new receiver right now. I believe the PS3 will pass SACD multi-channel audio through HDMI 1.2, so that would work well too.

Please help end my confusion on this issue and set me straight. I've had a PS3 since launch, and I've had a heck of a time trying to figure this issue out.

I greatly appreciate your help with this issue.
kingofgrills is offline   Reply With Quote